Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I Thought The Alamo Would Be Bigger


Doing a lot of book signings at the Alamo these days, I get many comments and questions like, "Where are the restrooms".  Seriously, comments about the small size of the Alamo are what I hear most.  

This is understandable because most people arrive with the expectation that the physical entity will be as imposing as the legend, then they see the Alamo Chapel, which is about the size of your local bank branch, and some are disappointed.

A visitor suggested a petition to require the State of Texas to buy up the land and restore the entire, three acre, 1836, Mission de Valero.  Though such a restoration would be exciting, I think it would still fall short.

The fact is that the Alamo adventure took place all over San Antonio, beginning a mile and a half up Commerce Street from Alamo Plaza.  I believe an Alamo Trail, similar to the Mission Trail, is needed.

8 comments:

  1. Hello, My name is Devin Costlow, and i met you on Saturday, the 18th and you gave me your card, with your blog,and website address. anyways please comment me back and i would like to talk to you about this historical landmark and the legendary battle that took place on it.

    Thank You,
    Sincerely, Devin Costlow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Devin. How are you and what is on your mind? Regards, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm deeply sorry that you haven't heard back from me in a while but, i would like to thank you for replying, anyways will you be writing another book on the Alamo, and if so i would actually like to help you, i know i am just a 13 year old boy i was wondering if you'd like some assistance, although i know a lot about the Alamo and Texas History in general but if you would like to please tell me if so, i would be very delighted to help you.Sincerely, Devin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Devin,

    Thank you for your reply and your interest in my work. You mentioned that you were interested in assisting me. What sort of assistance do you think you might be able to provide?

    I am currently working on a novel about Jim Bowie and his wife, Ursula, and I have completed almost all of the research. How might you help?

    Please let me know your thoughts.

    Regards,

    Dean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dean,

    Well i know only what a beginner would know about Jim Bowie, and his wife but i could assist you on anyone else because i know a little more about the other heroes of the Alamo such as David Crockett, William Travis, or most likely anyone that you mention, but James bowie all i know about him is his Bowie knife, he was sick during the Battle of the Alamo and just a tad bit more, if you would like assistance on anything else i would be delighted to help.

    Sincerely,
    Devin Costlow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Devin,

    To be a good writer of historic fiction, you have to be a good researcher too. Let’s see how good you can be with both tasks.

    I would like to have you write a few sentences about how the Bowie Knife came to be. Then we will work on them together until they are accurate and correct. After that I will select one to use in my manuscript. OK?

    Sincerely,

    Dean Kirkpatrick

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dean,

    Ok Dean ill send my research to your email address on the card you gave me is that alright?

    Sincerely,

    Devin Costlow

    ReplyDelete